Thursday 7 April 2011

Using reactor to break the cocktail glass.

I saved a copy of the bar and gun scene to as I had to alter parts of the scene.

To break up the cocktail glass I downloaded the Rayfire plugin demo. This made it possible to use the ray fire modifier. I selected the object (cocktail glass) and selected the Rayfire modifier. I selected the radial pattern and move the pattern central to the bullet. I set the radius to 3.6 and the rings and rays to 10. I unselected cap holes and clicked fragment. Once I was happy with the results I pressed detach, which breaks the glass in to individual objects.


The next step was to use the reactor modifier. I created a rigid body collection. This is done by selecting the icon that looks like 3 boxes. This was then placed into the scene and all of the objects that related to the glass breaking were added (the table, bullet and all the pieces of the cocktail glass).

I deleted all of the key frames in the time line and reduced its size. I then animated the bullet travelling through the glass again.




The next step was to adjust the settings in the property editor for each part in the RBC. The bullet's mass was set to 100. The simulation geometry was set to mesh concave hull and the object was set to unyielding. The fragments of glass had a mass of 5 and the geometry was set to bounding sphere. The table top was set to inactive.


I pressed the preview animation button and then experimented with different collision tolerances, gravity and world scale until the glass broke at the right speed. The final figures I used were 0.62 for the collision tolerance, -200 for gravity and world scale of 20.




No comments:

Post a Comment